Skip to main content
Qualifications Benefits Where We Work Where We Serve Request Info See What's Possible How to Apply

Respiratory Therapist

Helping others breathe easier.

Helping others breathe easier.

Officers In Action

A Message from Chief Therapist Officer CAPT West

Becoming a clinical and rehabilitation therapist officer in the USPHS Commissioned Corps
Read full story


Bachelor's or master's degree in respiratory therapy from a school or college accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Respiratory Care (CoARC) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) at the time of graduation
Active, current, unrestricted, and valid Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) license from any U.S. State, Washington D.C., territory, or commonwealth. The RRT program must be recognized by the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC). Certified or registered pulmonary function technician/technologist is not a qualifying certification.
Are you fit to serve?
Find out


Career advancement and pay increases with years of service
Health and dental care at low or no cost
Mobility between government agencies
Tax-free housing and meal allowances
Financial support for education through the Post-9/11 GI Bill
Retirement pension plan
Flexibility to work in a variety of settings
College Loan Repayment
See all benefits

Where we work

Where we serve

See where our officers are serving

Request information

Ready to learn more about becoming an officer in the USPHS Commissioned Corps? We’ll send you the information you need.

See what's possible

Do you meet the basic qualifications to become a Public Health Service officer?
Find out

Learn how to apply

Ready to serve? See how to apply, from start to finish.
See how
Ready to apply?