Surgeon General’s Honor Cadre
On October 1999, by order of Admiral David Satcher, Assistant Secretary for Health and Surgeon General, the Surgeon General’s Honor Cadre was created. The Honor Cadre is composed of officers who have demonstrated exceptional commitment and dedication to, and pride in, the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps. Members of the Honor Cadre are noted for their knowledge of protocol, ceremonies, close order drill, knowledge and practice of uniformed service courtesy and daily wearing of the uniform with pride and distinction. The USPHS Honor Cadre represents the Office of the Surgeon General (OSG) throughout the Nation. The Surgeon General’s Honor Cadre is part of the USPHS Honor Cadre and is a select unit of officers that perform functions directly for the OSG in the National Capitol Region. The mission of the USPHS Honor Cadre is to represent the Commissioned Corps and the OSG in formal and other informal Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and appropriate non-HHS sponsored events. In so doing, the Honor Cadre provides a valuable service to HHS, enhances visibility of the Commissioned Corps among HHS and non-HHS programs and organizations, and engenders esprit-de-corps.
Membership in the Corps will be attained by those officers who demonstrate the professionalism, pride, selflessness, and positive attitude that should typify a commissioned officer.
The requirements for consideration as a probationary member of the Surgeon General’s Honor Cadre are as follows:
- Must meet the PHS induction height and weight standards.
- Must have supervisor's permission and support to participate in Honor Cadre activities.
- Must possess, at a minimum, a Ceremonial Service Dress Blue uniform.
- Must be willing and able to attend regularly scheduled practices in drill and ceremony.
- Must be willing and available for formal presentations and ceremonies.
- Must be willing to wear the PHS uniform on a daily basis with pride and distinction.
- Must be willing to place the needs of the Corps above personal convenience.
All interested officers and those who would like a copy of the Honor Cadre Policy and Procedure Manual should contact: CDR Rhondalyn Cox, Commanding Officer, at Rhondalyn.Cox@fda.hhs.gov or 301-796-8529 or LCDR Mark McKinnon, Deputy Commanding Officer, at Mark.McKinnon@hhs.gov or 240-453-6067
Join us as we elevate the esprit-de-corps of the Commissioned Corps of the United States Public Health Service.
To request the Surgeon General’s Honor Cadre in the Greater Washington, DC Area, please click here.
Page Last Modified on 9/17/2014
This page may require you to download plug-ins to view all content.